Try sprinkling some caster sugar over the top of the sponge to help get a nice crisp topping
- Prep Time: 25 Min
- Cooking Time: 50 Min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Makes: 1 Loaf
- For The Cake
- 225g Homepride Self Raising Flour
- 225g Homepride Unsalted Baking Spread
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- Zest of One Lemon
- For The Drizzle
- 80g Caster Sugar
- Juice of Two Lemons
- For The Icing
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 4tbsp Lemon Juice (depending on how thick you want your icing)
1. Preheat your oven to 180C or 160 fan.
2. Cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Crack your eggs into a jug gradually add the eggs into your mixture.
3. Add your flour and lemon zest to the mixture and mix until everything is just combined.
4. Pour your mixture into a lined and greased loaf tin and bake for around 50mins until the cake is golden brown and a skewer will come out clean.
5. Whilst the cake is baking mix your caster sugar and lemon juice together to make the drizzle. And if your feeling it make some lemon icing with your icing sugar and lemon juice to drizzle over the top!
6. As soon as the cake is out of the oven prick the cake all over with a skewer, then pour the drizzle onto the cake whilst it’s still warm.
7. If your not adding any lemon icing then I like to sprinkle some caster sugar over to top of the sponge to help get a crisp topping. Or you can drizzle over some lemon icing and finish off with some lemon zest!