Top with fresh strawberries or any of your favourite fruit for a sweet and delicious treat
- Prep Time: 20 Min
- Cooking Time: 25 Min
- Difficulty: Medium
- Makes: 1 Cake
- 4 oz. Homepride self-raising flour
- 4 oz. white sugar
- 2-3 oz. butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pint of milk (skimmed or whole)
- A little grated lemon peel
- 1/2 Ib. strawberries
- 1/4 pint of cream
1. Sieve the sugar and add a little lemon rind.
2. Put the butter in a warm basin, beat until light.
3. Add the flavoured sugar and beat again.
4. Beat in the egg, stir in the flour and milk, beat well.
5. Bake in 2 prepared sandwich tins for 25 minutes in a moderate oven.
6. When firm turn out and leave to cool.
7. Whip and sweeten the cream with a little sugar.
8. Husk the strawberries and slice them with a knife.
9. Spread a layer of cream on one cake and a layer of strawberries on top.
10. Place the other cake over these.
11. Spread the rest of the cream and fruit and a few whole or halved strawberries.