Try a cheesey Marmite swirl - sprinkle 50g mature grated Cheddar cheese over the top of the swirls before baking. For a super cheesey Marmite swirl, add 1/2 tsp mustard powder to the flour, reduce the butter in the dough to 75g and add in 25g freshly grated Parmesan or mature Cheddar cheese. Top as above with more cheese. For a canapé - cut the the sausage into 22 slices and bake for 10-12 minutes, cool then top with a tiny dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkling of chives
- Prep Time: Min
- Cooking Time: Min
- Difficulty: Medium
- Makes: 14 swirls
- 200g Homepride self-raising flour
- 100g butter, roughly chopped
- About 3 tbsp ice-cold water
- 25g Marmite
- 15g sunflower seeds
- A pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with parchment. Place the flour and salt in a food processor with the butter. Pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Adding a little water at a time, pulse the mixture until it comes together into a dough. If you don’t have a food processor, place the flour, salt and butter in a large bowl, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like crumbs then add a little water to mix, adding more water until you can bring the dough together into a smooth ball.
- Dust your work surface with a little flour and roll out the dough to approximately 28x22cm.
- Warm the marmite in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it and spread it over the dough going right to the edges. Scatter over the sunflower seeds.
- Roll up the dough from the longer side, into a long sausage. Gently slice the sausage into 14 pieces and place cut side up on the baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes until golden. Rest on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool slightly. Delicious served warm!
You can store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze - defrost then warm through in a low oven before serving.