Mix apricot jam/marmalade with a little water and heat in the microwave for a few seconds. Brush warm wreath with jam and leave to cool.
- Prep Time: 90 Min
- Cooking Time: 25 Min
- Difficulty: Medium
- Makes: 1 Festive Stollen Wreath
- For The Dough
- 250g Homepride strong white bread flour
- 5g salt
- 7g instant yeast
- 50g soft unsalted butter
- 120ml milk
- 1 medium egg
- For The Filling
- 190g mixed dried fruit of your choice
- 80ml alcohol/orange juice (We used Ruby Port)
- Zest 1 orange
- 20g ground almonds
- 90g unsalted butter
- 80g soft brown sugar
- 60g chopped nuts (We used pecans and almonds)
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 180g marzipan (grated)
- To Decorate
- Apricot jam/marmalade mixed with a little water
- Icing sugar
- Little juice from an orange
- Nuts (optional)
Print this recipe
- Place chopped fruit in a bowl with alcohol or juice and leave overnight to plump up.
- Dough-heat milk and butter in a saucepan over low heat until just warm and butter has melted.
- Place flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the milk mixture and roughly mix together adding the beaten egg. Keep mixing together until the dough forms a ball, then knead on worktop until smooth and elastic. The dough will be sticky but don’t be tempted to add more flour. Leave to prove in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel until doubled in size.
- Filling-beat butter and sugar with vanilla until light and fluffy. Strain liquid from fruit and add the fruits, nuts, zest and ground almonds to butter mixture and mix well.
- Roll dough to a large rectangle on a lightly floured surface aprx 35x25cm.
- Spread fruity mixture evenly on top of dough leaving an inch border around the perimeter. Scatter grated marzipan all over evenly.
- Roll dough up tightly from the longest end and trim ends to neaten. Using a sharp knife, cut right through the middle of the dough leaving one end attached slightly.
- Twist the two pieces together to form a wreath shape tucking the ends underneath to join together. Place on a tray and leave to prove until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 200fan. Bake wreath for 20-25mins until golden brown.
- Mix apricot jam/marmalade with a little water and heat in the microwave for a few seconds. Brush warm wreath with jam and leave to cool.
- Icing-mix icing sugar with a little juice from the orange to make a thick paste. Pipe a little icing all over wreath, slice and enjoy!