- Prep Time: 15 Min
- Cooking Time: 8 Min
- Difficulty: Easy
- For the biscuits
- 125g Unsalted butter
- 100g Dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tbl spoon treacle
- 35g Golden syrup
- 300g Homepride Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- Boiled, coloured sweets if you want to make stained glass window biscuits!
- For the icing
- 1 egg white
- Icing sugar to form a thick paste (try a teaspoon at a time so you get the consistency right)
- Add gel food colouring for any colours you fancy (although white always looks nice against the gingerbread)
For the Christmas gingerbread biscuits:
Melt the unsalted butter, dark muscovado sugar, treacle, golden syrup together gently.
In a separate bowl, mix your Homepride plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, mixed spice and ground nutmeg
Mix together the melted butter/sugar mix with the dry ingredients until smooth and when cool, roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper (less mess!).
If you wanted to make a gingerbread house, you can make stained glass windows by crushing boiled sweets and fill the window holes of unbaked biscuits until level. When you cook them, the sweets will melt. Just be careful when they come out of the oven - this will be super hot.
Bake at 170c fan for 7-8 mins, until golden all over.
Leave to cool fully.
For the royal icing:
Gently beat 1 egg white. Mix in the icing sugar a teaspoon at a time until you have a thick, pipeable paste. Put your paste into a piping bag and decorate.
Add gel food colouring for any colours you fancy!