- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Makes: About 12 muffins
For the muffins:
- 300g Homepride plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml milk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- A little salt to taste
For your filling:
- Cheese & Bacon:
- 100g strong cheddar, grated
- 4 slices of your favourite bacon (ideally smoked), grilled and chopped
- Chorizo & Pepper:
- 75g sliced chorizo (we cut it into half moons but cubes and slices would work well too)
- 1 small red pepper deseeded and chopped into 1inch slices
- Leek & Cheese:
- 1 medium leek
- 100g strong grated cheddar (you could switch this for any strong flavoured cheese)
Print this recipe
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees / gas mark 6.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and fold your flavours in (cheeses / meats / veggies etc). If you like a little seasoning, you can add salt at this point.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients until well blended.
- Fold the dry into the wet until combined, then spoon the mixture equally into the muffin cases.
- Pop the muffins into the middle shelf of the oven for about 20 minutes or until the tops are a golden brown.
- Best served warm.
- You can play about with the flavours in these muffins – some of our favourite combos are listed above but you could also add herbs, spices, different vegetables, cooked meats and cheese. The cheese would be added as a dry ingredient (unless you used a wet cheese like mozzarella). If you're using bacon, grill for a few minutes until it's as you like it, cut it into pieces and add to the wet ingredients. Chorizo can be prepared in the same way as the bacon. The leeks can be sliced and softened in a little butter in a frying pan until they're gently browned.
- We love cheese and onion, feta and olive, ham and cheddar and sundried tomato and mozzarella… You can also eat like a scone with butter or cream cheese. The possibilities are endless!