- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Makes: 1 cake
- baking tin
- table top mixer (or whisk and large bowl)
- 2 small mixing bowl
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 small sauce pan
- chopping board
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 50g orange juice
- 170g grated carrot
- 175g caster sugar
- 1/2 orange zest
- 140g Homepride self-raising flour
- 1 pinch flaked sea salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Whole eggs
- 120ml Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla syrup or extract
Print this recipe
- Begin by pre-heating your oven to 170°c, gas mark 5.
- Place the walnuts onto a small tray and roast them off. Then bring orange juice to the boil in your saucepan, add the roasted walnuts and bring back to the boil, then take off the heat and allow to cool in the pan.
- Grate the carrots and mix with 25g sugar and orange zest, set aside.
- Put all dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and 300g sugar to a ribbon (when you lift your whisk, the mixture leaves a ‘ribbon’ of mixture in the bowl) slowly add the oil to this mixture whilst whisking hard. Now add the vanilla syrup or extract and slowly add the dry ingredients.
- Once fully incorporated add the carrots and finish with the cooled walnuts.
- Fill your chosen mould half way up, as it will rise considerably.
- Bake at 170˚c until the mix is cooked in the middle – test at about 35 minutes but ovens will vary, a cake tester or clean knife in the middle of the cake tin, should come out clean with no mix attached to it.