- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Makes: 2 loaves
- a Large flat Baking Tray/Sheet
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small sauce pan
- 1 wire cooling rack
Ingredients for the night before
- 100g Homepride Strong White Bread Flour
- 100g Unsweetened Apple Juice (Freshly juiced if possible)
- 25g Tepid Water
- 50g unsalted butter
- 650g Homepride strong white bread flour
- 1 tbsp flaked sea salt
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300ml buttermilk (if you can’t find buttermilk, you could use plain natural yoghurt)
- 200g water
- 1 tbsp golden linseeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Seeds (or you could use your own blend of seeds)
- ½ tsp dried Thyme
Print this recipe
- The night before baking: combine all of the "night before" ingredients using a whisk until smooth and leave in a sealed plastic container at room temperature overnight.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°c gas mark 6.
- Place 50g of butter into a sauce pan and heat on a medium heat. When the butter begins to boil stir until it reaches a golden brown colour. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter into a small bowl.
- In your large mixing bowl add all the other ingredients, including your overnight flour and apple juice mixture. Give it a good mix from the outside of the bowl in, then mix using your hands. This is a messy but fun job so if you have any little helpers, it’s the perfect job for them.
- Once fully incorporated into a smooth dough, turn out onto a flour-dusted table.
- Divide the dough mixture into two balls and shape into neat round loaves. Place on your parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Once baked remove from the oven and place onto a wire cooling rack.
- I know you will be tempted to cut straight into them but don’t! Allowing them to cool naturally and in one piece will improve the crust and help the centre to develop.
- Your loaves will be dark brown, crusty, dense, flavoursome & delicious.
- Serve with butter!