The loaf is delicious as it is but also good spread with butter.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 90 min
- Difficulty: Medium
- Makes: 900g loaf
- 450g mixed dried fruit
- 300ml strong black tea
- pink and purple food colouring
- 450g Homepride self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- finely grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 175g muscovado brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
Print this recipe
- Place the fruit in a large mixing bowl, pour over the tea, mix well, cover and set aside to soak for around 10 hours or overnight; most of the liquid should have been absorbed. Line a 900g loaf tin with parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/fan oven 150C/gas mark 3. Stir the fruit then add in the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spoon into the tin and bake for around 1 hour 30 minutes until risen and golden. Insert a skewer in the middle and if it comes out clean it is cooked. Check after 1 hour 15 minutes and if necessary cover the top with foil to stop it browning too much.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.